February 18, 2023
2023 Bull of the Desert Strongman Competittion
Welcome to the Bull of the Desert Strongman, 2023!
The Bull of the Desert will be taking place on February 18, 2023, in Yuma, Arizona.
WEIGH IN DATE/TIME AND LOCATION:
Feb. 17th, 2023
9:00 AM to Noon 1280 W. Desert Sun Dr. Yuma, AZ.
5:00 PM to 8:00 PM 1280 W. Desert Sun Dr. Yuma, AZ.
Feb. 18th, 2023
6:30 AM to 0800 AM. 1280 W. Desert Sun Dr. Yuma, AZ.
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:
8:15 AM we will be holding a rules meeting for all competitors, coaches, and judges. This will be conducted in the Desert Sun Stadium main bleachers.
Depending on the number of competitors, the sequence of events may have minor changes. With the current numbers, the event will go as follows.
9: 00AM Log Press
10:00 AM Object Shuttle
11:00 AM Conan’s Wheel
!2:00 PM Thors Hammet
1:00 PM Atlas Stones
If we get additional competitors signed up, we may run two events simultaneously, allowing the competitors enough time to complete the event and recover before starting the next event. Listed below is the alternate event times.
9:00 AM the first two events will begin. The first two events will be the Object Shuttle and the Log Press. All male competitors will start on one event and the women will start on the other. Once all competitors have cycled through their event, they will swap events.
11:00 AM will start the second set of events, Conan’s Wheel and Thor’s Hammer. Like the first set of events, men and women will compete on separate events, and swap once all competitors have cycled through the event.
1:00 PM will start the Atlas Stones
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION:
An awards and recognition ceremony will take place once all scores have been counted by the judges and scorekeepers.
- Lifting belts, maximum of 4 inches. (Soft belts over 4 inches upon approval)
- Knee Wraps / Sleeves
- Elbow Wraps / Sleeves
- Forearm Braces / Sleeves
- Wrist Wraps and Supports
- Grip Shirts (Atlas Stones Only)
- Tack (Atlas Stones Only)
- Belts wider then 4 inches
- Deadlift Suits
- Squat Suits
- Bench press shirts
- Sling shot gear
- Any form of gear designed to mimic the above mentioned gear
- This event is a timed and distance medley that will test the speed and power of each athlete.
- The athlete will begin at a starting line and sprint 10 yds to 1 of 2 kegs (weights tbd) carrying it for 10 yds and place it upright on a platform. The athlete will then race back to the second keg and repeat the process.
- The athlete will then sprint 5 yds to the next station where they will be required to deadlift and carry a heavier object (tbd) 10 yds to the finish line.
- Tie breaker will be time.
- Competitors will be allowed to set their grip and when given the command to go, clean the log and press for as many reps as possible in 60 seconds.
- Log must come back to (down) clean position between each press.
- Tie breaker will go to lightest competitor.
CONAN’S WHEEL OF PAIN:
- Competitors will lift a weighted leg attached to a pivot, and carry it around the 72 foot circle for a time of 90 seconds.
- Competitors must lift the weighted leg from the ground, 8 to 10 inches.
- The competitors must hold the bar against the front of their body.
- Competitors may not lift onto or shoulder the weight.
- The left is completed once the leg is down and forward movement has stopped.
- Using only one hand, lift Thor’s Hammer off the ground until back is straight and shoulders are back.
- Weights will increased each round until only one competitor is left.
- Each competitor will have 30 seconds to set their grip within the designated area on the hammer and complete the lift.
- Hammer must be lifted outside the framework of the body (No other portion of the body can be used to leverage or manipulate the hammer).
- Tie breaker will go to lightest competitor.
- Competitors will start behind the staged series of atlas stones.
- Once given the command to go, the competitors will have 90 seconds to lift and set 4 stones onto their corresponding tower.
- Only stones that have been property secured to their tower will count as completed.
- In case of a tie, win goes to the lighter competitor.
Information is subject to change.
1280 Desert Sun Dr
Yuma, AZ 85365
Events and Weights
|Division||Log Press||Object Shuttle||Thor’s Hammer||Conan's Wheel||Atlas Stones|
|Open W LW (132-)||65, 95, 115, 145||Wheel +135||Beg Wt 50#||TBD||90|
|Open W MW (165-)||95, 115, 145, 175||Wheel +180||Beg Wt 75#||TBD||115|
|Open W HW (198-)||115, 145, 175, 215||Wheel +225||Beg Wt 100#||TBD||135|
|Open W SHW (+)||115, 145, 175, 215||Wheel +225||Beg Wt 100#||TBD||145|
|Masters W LW (132-)||65, 95, 115, 145||Wheel +115||Beg Wt 50#||TBD||90|
|Masters W MW (165-)||95, 115, 145, 175||Wheel +160||Beg Wt 75#||TBD||115|
|Masters W HW (+)||95, 115, 145, 175||Wheel +205||Beg Wt 75#||TBD||135|
|Open M LW (181-)||115, 145, 175, 215||Wheel +270||Beg Wt 125#||TBD||145|
|Open M MW (220-)||145, 175, 215, 250||Wheel +360||Beg Wt 150#||TBD||175|
|Open M HW (275-)||175, 215, 250, 300||Wheel +450||Beg Wt 175#||TBD||205|
|Open M SHW (+)||175, 215, 250, 300||Wheel +475||Beg Wt 175#||TBD||225|
|Masters M MW (220-)||115, 145, 175, 215||Wheel +295||Beg Wt 125#||TBD||175|
|Masters M HW (+)||145, 175, 215, 250||Wheel +385||Beg Wt 150#||TBD||205|
Available until Dec 31, 2022
Registration Closes Feb 17, 2023
86 spots remain.