January 28, 2023
Warpath Strength Pull For Paws 2023
Do you love dogs? Do you love to deadlift?
Warpath Strength Pull For Paws is a partner deadlift event where two athletes will deadlift a custom-made axle bar loaded with truck tires for as many reps possible in one minute. Teams may be two male athletes, two female athletes or one male and one female athlete. This event is perfect for athletes who compete in strongman, powerlifting, CrossFit.
The different weight "classes" are aligned only with the weight of the bar and will have nothing to do with the weight of the athletes. So, there will be no need for for any of the athletes to weigh in and "make weight." The bar weight will be set as follows:
Lightweight = 400#
Middleweight = 800#
Heavyweight = 1,200#
This is a fundraiser to support two Chicago-area animal rescue organizations:
- Peace For Pits, which focuses on finding loving, caring homes for 'Bully' breeds in need of help." You can find out more about their organization by visiting their website here: https://peaceforpits.org/
- PAWS Chicago, which is the city's largest "No Kill" humane organization focused on solutions to end the killing of homeless pets. You can learn more about them here: https://www.pawschicago.org/
This is an unsanctioned charity competition. It's just for fun. There are no qualifying spots for any national championships. If you're someone who loves dogs and loves to deadlift, this event is for you.
Mens Lightweight (400# bar)
Mens Middleweight (800# bar)
Mens Heavyweight (1,200# bar)
Womens Lightweight (400# bar)
Womens Middleweight (800# bar)
Womens Heavyweight (1,200# bar)
Coed Lightweight (400# bar)
Coed Middleweight (800# bar)
Coed Heavyweight (1,200# bar)
Each team member needs to sign up individually for this competition. The first team member to sign up will enter the name of the team, and then the second team member will have to choose that same team name from a drop down menu when they sign up.
If you are the second team member to sign up and you have problems during your registration as you attempt to register, please contact the admins at Iron Podium. They will be able to help and make sure you end up on the right team.
- Athletes will begin by positioning themselves side by side and take their grip on the bar.
- The judge will give an "ATHLETES READY" command.
- Once the athletes indicate their readiness, the judge will give a “LIFT” command and time will start.
- When both team members lock out the bar with their shoulders back, hips through, legs and feet in line and under control, the judge will give a "DOWN" command.
- Teams will continue to lift until time expires.
- If an athlete does not completely lockout at the top/completion of the lift, the judge will give a warning.
- After a warning, if any member of the team fails to continually lockout at the top/completion of the lift, reps will not be counted toward the total per the discretion of the judge.
- No one is permitted to lift completely barefoot. A lifter does not have to wear shoes, but some type of sock or deadlift slipper must be worn.
- Every athlete's shins must be covered. Deadlift socks are permitted, but they are not required. Athletes may choose to wear tights or use knee sleeves to cover their shins.
- Each team will have one minute to pull as many reps as possible on the bar.
- The winning team in each division will be the pair of athletes that pulls the most reps in one minute.
- Chalk (powder or liquid)
- Weight belt
- Lifting straps
- Elbow sleeves
- Knee sleeves
- Wrist wraps
- Deadlift suits
EQUIPMENT NOT ALLOWED
- Lifting hooks
HEIGHT DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ATHLETES
Because of the height of the hub on the truck tires, the axle bar will be approximately 16-inches off the ground, which is higher than a standard 9-inch deadlift from the ground. It is recommended (not required) that each athlete on the two-person teams be close to the same height...ideally within 1-2 inches. However, we will have a few custom-built platforms that will allow for shorter athletes to pull at a similar height to their taller counterpart. We will have platforms that will add 1-3 inches of extra height, if needed.
NO PARTNER? NO PROBLEM.
If you are not able to find a partner, that's totally fine. Please feel free to sign up as an individual athlete and come on out on the day of the competition. We'll find you a partner. In years past, several competitors have pulled two or three times with different partners. Please know, however, that you do need to sign up with a partner as a team prior to January 14 in order to be eligible to win an award.
In the event of a tie within any of the nine divisions, we will have a special tie-breaker activity that will not be announced until the day of the competition.
T-SHIRTS AND AWARDS
Every athlete will receive a competition t-shirt as part of their registration fee. In addition, there will be trophies for each first place team and medals for the second- and third-place teams.
If any of the competitors would like to "mix and match" and pull a second or third time with a different partner, or attempt a solo pull, that will be permitted after all of the teams have made their attempts. These additional attempts can be made on any of the three bar weights (400#, 800# or 1,200#), but please know these lifts will be just for fun, photo opps and bragging rights on social media. They will not be eligible for a trophy or a medal.
We will be soliciting sponsors and collecting prizes that will be raffled off throughout the afternoon at the event. The plan is to have a raffle every hour throughout the competition, with the more "high value" prizes being awarded later in the day.
Every competitor will receive a raffle ticket as part of their entry fee, but additional raffle tickets may be purchased by athletes or spectators on the day of the competition in order to increase the chances of winning a prize.
All proceeds from the raffle will be donated to the charity.
Events and Weights
|Division||Partner Axle Tire Deadlift|
|Mens Lightweight (400# Bar)||400#|
|Mens Middleweight (800# Bar)||800#|
|Mens Heavyweight (1,200# Bar)||1,200#|
|Womens Lightweight (400# Bar)||400#|
|Coed Lightweight (400# Bar)||800#|
|Coed Middleweight (800# Bar)||1,200#|
Registration Closes Jan 24, 2023
8 spots remain.